The Commons is located on the third floor of the T Wing within the Health Sciences Library. The Commons is primarily funded by UW Health Sciences Library and the Student Technology Fee.
For specific questions about computer usage in the Commons, see the policies below or contact Paul Ludecke, Lab Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You must have a UW NetID with current UW student, faculty or staff status to use computers in the Commons Computer Lab.
- Computers in the classrooms may be reserved for instructional use.
- A variety of hardware and software is available.
- There is an instructor station in each classroom. These may be used by students, but an instructor may claim the station to prepare for a class.
- Stations left unattended may reboot automatically.
- Stations marked as priority for handicapped use, or for the use of scanners, may be claimed at any time for their intended use.
- Laser printing is self-service and must be paid with a Husky Card or Dawg Prints card.
Do not save files on the Commons computers. Copying files to a network account is the preferred method of saving work. USB ports for USB memory drives are available on all computers.
Do not load software on the Commons computers. This may violate copyright law/license agreements, uses valuable disk space, and risks spreading computer viruses. Exceptions may only be made after discussion with the Lab Manager.
Learning Commons software is protected by United States copyright law and/or license agreements. Making copies is prohibited.
Health-related material is sometimes graphic and may make some users uncomfortable. Please respect their concerns when viewing such material by choosing the least visible workstation or turning your monitor away from others.
Food and Beverages
Food and uncovered beverages are prohibited in the Commons due to risk of damage to the equipment. If you bring food or an uncovered beverage into the lab, you will be asked to put it away or discard it.